Drunk Driving – History of Mothers Against Drunk Driving – MADD
Driving while intoxicated has become an epidemic and it is so important to remember that even if you are a responsible driver, it does not mean that others are, unfortunately. Mothers Against Drunk Driving, more commonly referred to as MADD is an organization that spreads the word about the dangers associated with drunk driving and educates people about the DUI laws and the horrors that occur when laws are not properly abided by. It is their ultimate goal to ensure that no one should ever need a DWI Lawyer.
Who Started MADD?
A woman named Candy Lightner who unfortunately lost her daughter in a drunk driving accident started this organization. She was killed by one that was no stranger to having a high blood alcohol content level (BAC) and repeatedly got behind the wheel of their vehicle. In hope to raise awareness and not have her daughter die in vain – Candy so bravely took a stand… and people started to listen. There is just absolutely no reason to drive while under the influence and many people do repeatedly. Many prisons are overpopulated as is, and a lot of them are filled with those who continue to receive DUI’s. This is why the laws are so stringent, as they should be; but people need to continue to band together a spread the word about the risks associated with driving under the influence and the consequences of finding oneself in need of a Minneapolis DWI Defense.
MADD is a nonprofit organization that helps those who have been directly affected by drunk drivers. They continuously try to shoot for stricter laws as well as prevent underage drinking.
- MADD – A full overview of the organization, where and how it started as well as services/support they provide.
- CDC – Strategies and steps to take in support of DWI Defense.
- MADD founder’s daughter killed by drunk driver – In depth information about the beginning of MADD and explanation on what they do and why.
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) History – full explanation of origin and how the nonprofit organization started up.
- A Crash Course in MADD – anything and everything you need to know about MADD wrapped in on one site.
Successes and Failures of the Organization
MADD continues to forge on and raise awareness and money about the dangers associated with excessive drinking and especially driving while intoxicated. Many people may think that they know everything there is to know – yet, people continue to do it. Educating children at a younger age and continuing to push for stricter laws has proven to be extremely effective and MADD will not stop.
Many great successes have come from MADDs approach to the topic and in their first 15 years of existence, they were single handedly able to claim they reduced alcohol related deaths by 20%.
While they were, just doing what they felt compelled to continue to do – MADD continued to grow and then outgrow itself becoming a multimillion-dollar organization (46 million) quickly. This did change the face of the organization – while some see it as a downfall, it is not, more of just a readjustment. Goals began to shift and the messages were starting to change as well. While originally started because a woman was so angry over the death caused by the carelessness of a drunk driver, she started gaining supporters left and right.
There were still issues within the organizations as well; it seems as though some employees did not practice what they were preaching. This is a main concern with many heavy issues in society – as we all should lead by example rather than just speaking words.
- Organizational Mortality – Failures within the organization revealed.
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving – Statistics on how the organization took off from day one.
- MADD President Quits After DUI Charge – not practicing what he was preaching, David Griffin finds himself in need of DUI Defense.
- Statistics of information gathered over the years – MADD has statistics of growth, failures, deaths and more.
- Finances – Financial tax forms and a look into a different side of MADD
Opponents of MADD
There are former employees against MADD as well as some other organizations. John McCardell is head of the organization ‘Choose Responsibility,’ while he has given much praise to MADD – he has also made it clear that raising the drinking age is not what stops people from driving under the influence.
It is unfortunate as well that the very founder of MADD has been let go and is of course angry, but for different reasons. Many ex-employees have started to work against MADD.
- Death of MADD? – New arguments praise and bash MADD at the same time, but really something to consider.
- FIGHTING MADD – While MADD has hit their goals of lowering BAC levels, and stricter laws for repeat DUI offenders, they have let go the very woman who started the organization.
- Anti-MADD – stats and information against MADD.
- Mad at MADD – information gathered by those who are not with MADDs way of running their organization.
- DAMM – the name says it all ‘Drivers Against MADD Methods.’
Overall, no one can say the MADD has not forged their way and made a positive impact for the most part. Of course, there is going to be some scrutiny and opponents in every battle fought, but they have certainly done their part in raising awareness and providing support for those who have lost loved ones due to drunk driving accidents.
- MADD – Get a better understanding of what they have accomplished.
- MADD35 – More information about the organization that changed the face of DUI’s.
- MADD Sponsors – Sponsors who support MADD.
- Making Good Choices – Power of responsible, educated youth.
- Most Teens Don’t Drink Alcohol – They are more educated now about the dangers of drinking and driving.